October 25, 2012

how to teach your baby to swim (under 7 months)


Here are the proven instructions to teach babies to go under water if under 7 months using the air in the face reflex:
Blow like a gentle gust of wind onto the baby’s face.  You can see your baby take in a gulp of air and/or make a funny face – do this several times before you go in the pool to see if your baby still has this reflex. (This reflex is usually lost between 4 and 9 months)

Follow these steps in the pool:
  • After the baby is comfortable and playful in the water, hold the baby under the arms facing you, and make eye contact with your baby. 
  • Count to three to set the signal,
  • blow quickly on your baby’s face
  • watch your baby make the funny face
  • smoothly and gently lower the baby’s head completely under the water for one second
  • When you raise your baby, wipe your baby’s nose so that not even a tiny water bubble will go into the nose. 
  • Give your baby a hug to your chest so that the baby will blow out and not swallow any air.  Skipping this step may cause the baby to develop a hard tummy.  This may become a big burp, and may even lead to throwing up.  
  • Immediately distract your baby with a toy.
  • Do this about 5-10 times a session if the baby doesn’t show any discomfort.
  • Extend the time under the water to up to 5 seconds pulling your baby toward you for a short glide as you step back.
  • Place your hand gently behind your baby’s head gliding your baby to another person.
  • Scatter underwater practice with practice on the other skills as instructed on the dvd, and playing with your baby.
  • Enjoy your time together!

2 comments:

  1. I missed the window! My baby no longer has this reflex, but is still pre-verbal. NOW how do I teach him how to hold his breath underwater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you wrote to me with questions about teaching your baby to swim. I want to share my expertise with you! There is so much that you can do even in the bath tub. It is so important that you teach your child this life skill.
      First, Go to my you tube channel to get more ideas. On this video I give more specific instruction on what to do. This is the intro to my published dvd.
      http://youtu.be/eEE61HDnd2E

      My dvd, Learn to Swim with Miss Bea at www.swimbea.com is to help parents like you teach their own children how to swim. I have a special Facebook price for you here bc you wrote to me.
      http://swimbea.com/press2.html
      Even if you don't buy the dvd, I will continue to write. Don't give up.
      Let me know what you think,

      Delete

What do you think? I want to hear your experiences and I promise to answer your questions and concerns!