April 30, 2012

Don't get Swimmer's Ear from swimming

There are two different kinds of ear infections.  The outer ear infection can be a result of getting water in the ear while swimming.  Read the Mayo Clinic on Swimmer's ear.

Some doctors recommend using a couple of drops of "Swimear"  after getting out of the pool to prevent swimmer's ear.   But most kids will not get an ear infection from swimming.  In my experience, usually just one ear infection and you will be using those drops every time!!

Here is one recipe for making your own drops.  Make a 50:50 mixture of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol for use after swimming or exposure to water. Apply 3-4 drops in each ear canal after swimming. This helps dry the canal and maintain the acidic environment of the ear canal.  

I always keep some drops available for my clients to use on the children.  It works!

By the way, I have an ear infection now, but my ear infection is from allergies.  I am on antibiotics and should be better soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I want to hear your experiences and I promise to answer your questions and concerns!